Social media allows people to interact through blogs, instant messaging, or chat rooms. Social media’s availability means that it has become a standard in online communication and information sharing because social media allows other users to share their experiences with others within the site community.
Site’s like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat have been instrumental in helping individuals, businesses, organizations, and movements get their messages across to the public.
Social media has become so ubiquitous that it is difficult to imagine life without it. Responsible for an entirely new way of thinking about social connection, information sharing, and dissemination, make it easy to understand why many instructors and teachers would make it the topic of an essay writing assignment.
What Types of Essays Can You Write About Social Media?
Just as social media is expansive and varied, the types of essays a student can write on the topic are also admittedly just as large.
Depending on the course the essay is assigned in, the social media writing prompt, and the instructor’s expectations, you might be asked to write an:
An expository essay is a writing piece that highlights a subject and delves into detail about that subject. The student should include facts, descriptions, and other helpful information to help the reader understand the topic.
In an expository essay on social media, a student might talk about how being interconnected is being human. Nobody feels comfortable if isolated from others. Being part of a social network makes it easier to feel that connection from the many billions of people in the world.
A descriptive essay is about painting a clear picture for the reader to understand what something looks like, feels like, or sounds like. Therefore, the level of detail provided should make the reader feel as though they were actually experiencing the essay’s subject.
In a descriptive essay on social media, a student might describe the feelings evoked when logging in to a social media site. As the page opens up, there is a feeling of great anticipation for what’s available on that day. Maybe someone shared some good news on their wall, or you got tagged in an awesome picture?
A narrative essay is about telling a story. These essays usually use descriptive words that set the scene and provide an outcome to a particular situation or experience.
In a narrative essay about social media, a student might talk about their life pre-social media and post-social media. Or they might share an experience in which social media either negatively or positively impacted them.
An argumentative essay argues a particular viewpoint or opinion, usually about a controversial topic.
In an argumentative essay on social media, a student might talk about how it has benefited them (such as easier communication with family and friends) or harmed them (by allowing cyberbullying to go unchecked).
A persuasive essay is a writing piece that convinces the reader to agree with or believe in something. The student should include facts, descriptions, and other useful information to help the reader understand why the writer feels strongly about the subject.
In a persuasive essay on social media, a student might talk about how important it is to have access to social media. They might share examples of how it helps them stay connected with friends and family or show an example of how it could improve someone’s employment prospects or marketability.
Essay Writing Tips
When writing an essay, it’s imperative to follow a specific format to present your main points in a logical, cohesive way regardless of the type.
Start your introduction with a catchy hook phrase that draws the reader in. Then, follow the hook statement with key definitions and background information to help the reader understand the topic’s significance. Finally, end your introduction with a strong thesis statement that gives the reader an idea of what you will be discussing.
The body paragraphs are where you write about your main points and support them with examples, facts, figures, anecdotes, etc. If possible, use 3-5 solid body paragraphs – 3 is usually sufficient, but more is fine. Try to stick to one key point with examples per paragraph.
The conclusion is where you briefly restate your main points and wrap things up. Then, wrap it all up by leaving the reader with a strong summary statement that will leave them thinking about what they just read.
PRO TIP #1: While summarizing points from the body paragraphs is always a great way to wrap up your conclusion, be sure to avoid introducing new facts or ideas not included in the rest of the work. This will confuse the reader and leave your essay feeling and sounding unfinished or open-ended.
PRO TIP #2: You should try to stick to formal language for this essay, using words like “website” instead of “web site.” Avoid using slang words (such as “ain’t”) or contractions when possible. It’s also good to include examples when appropriate to make your points easier to understand.
130 Social Media Essay Topics
Choosing the right topic for a social media essay is where most students struggle. If you have been assigned an essay on social media, consider using any of the following 130 social media essay topics to get started.
Social Media Essay Topics About Communicating
- How does social media impact the way we communicate?
- Is social media responsible for an increase in teen crime rates?
- How does social media help/hurt relationships?
- What are the benefits of using social media to stay in touch with friends and family?
- What are some ways that life would be different without access to social media?
- In what ways is social media a distraction from academics and work-related projects?
- Which platform is used more for communicating with friends and family, Facebook or Twitter?
- How do social media apps affect the way we communicate with our kids?
- What are some of the pros/cons of communicating exclusively via social media?
- What are some examples of how people use social media to get in touch with emergency services?
- How has social media impacted the way we communicate during natural disasters?
- Which type of social media is best for communicating with people during an emergency, Facebook or Twitter?
- What are some ways that social media can be used to spread offensive content?
- Do you think it’s ever appropriate to write on a deceased person’s wall as a social media post?
- What are some ways that social media can be used to communicate with elected officials?
- What are some examples of public figures who use social media to connect with their fans and supporters?
Social Media Essay Topics About Bullying
- What are some ways that social media enables bullying?
- How does social media play a role in cyber-bullying?
- Why do you think bullying has increased since the rise of social media?
- How prevalent is hate speech on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter?
- How can we improve reporting systems for online harassment and threats?
- How do you think social media can be used to prevent bullying?
- What are some examples of how bullying is taken too far on social media platforms like Facebook or Twitter?
- Do you think holding social media companies legally accountable for cyber-bullies actions is fair? Why or why not?
- Are there cases where people should be held accountable for what they post on social media?
- Which platform do you think is the most popular for cyberbullying, Facebook or Instagram?
- What do you think is an effective way to fight cyber-bullies?
- Should public figures be held accountable for their online behavior? Why or why not?
- How can schools combat cyber-bullies on social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram?
- What are some examples of public figures who have stood up to cyberbullies/taken a stand against hate speech?
- Compare and contrast the effects of cyberbullying v. in-person bullying.
Social Media Essay Topics About Privacy
- Is privacy dead in the age of social media? Why or why not?
- Can there be too much emphasis placed on privacy and security on Twitter, Facebook, etc.?
- What are some ways that people can protect their accounts from being hacked?
- How can we improve users’ online security when using sites like Snapchat and Instagram?
- Which social media platform is most popular for posting highly personal information, Facebook or Tumblr?
- Is it ever acceptable to share someone’s private messages publicly online? Why or why not?
- How can we improve privacy settings on sites like Twitter and Facebook?
- What are some risks associated with using social media accounts that have been hacked?
- How can we balance the need for privacy with the desire to be online celebrities?
- What high-profile people have been targeted by hackers?
- Which social media platform is the riskiest place to share private information?
- What operating system is best for protecting online privacy?
- How do you know if your account has been hacked?
- What can teens do to protect their social media accounts from being hacked?
- How important is it for teenagers to learn about online security and privacy?
- What have been the most effective identity theft scams on social media?
Social Media Essay Topics About Politics
- What are some examples of social media being used to influence elections?
- Which candidate has used social media the most effectively during their campaign?
- Do you think that social media is a better tool for political campaigns than traditional advertising? Why or why not?
- What are some of the best ways to use social media to encourage civic engagement?
- How can social media be used to get politicians’ attention?
- What are some examples of celebrities using their influence for political activism?
- Which candidate stood out in terms of their use of social media during the 2016 election?
- How has the use of social media changed our perception of election integrity?
- Which social media platform is most effective for political campaigns?
- Is it ever okay to post a political status on someone’s Facebook wall without their permission? Why or why not?
- What impact did the 2016 election have on how politicians use social media?
- What are some examples of social media influencing elections in other countries?
- Which candidate stood out regarding how they made their campaign appearances online?
- How could social media be used globally to encourage political engagement and activism?
Social Media Essay Topics About Influencing
- What are some examples of people using social media to influence others?
- Which celebrity has used social media to become the most influential?
- Do you think that influencers have an ethical responsibility when promoting products online? Why or why not?
- How can young people use social media to promote creativity and self-expression?
- What are some of the most effective ways to become an influencer on social media?
- Why do you think companies are willing to pay so much money to work with influencers?
- How can teens use social media to influence their peers and develop leadership skills?
- Which social media platform is the best for reaching people interested in self-improvement?
- How can people use social media to become trusted sources of information?
- What is the best way for influencers to partner with brands on social media?
- How do companies choose their influencers?
- Which platforms are used most often by teens who want to become influencers?
- What impact has the rise of online celebrity had on our culture?
- How can teens avoid being influenced by influencers without strong moral values?
- What are some of the most common risks of being an influencer on social media?
- How have online reviews changed our shopping habits?
- Why do you think it is important that teenagers learn how to become influencers?
Social Media Essay Topics About the History of Social Media
- Who invented Facebook?
- Why was Instagram created?
- Who is the founder of Snapchat?
- When did social media start to become popular?
- Why was Twitter launched?
- What are some examples of other platforms created before social media became popular?
- How has social media evolved since it started becoming popular in the early 2000s?
- What is the origin of all social media platforms?
- What was the first device to allow people to use social media, and how has that led to advances in technology?
Social Media Essay Topics About Celebrities
- Do you think that celebrities are considered credible news sources? Why or why not?
- What social media platform is the best for celebrities to reach their fans?
- How have celebrity endorsements changed advertising online?
- Which celebrity has had the most influence on selling products online?
- What are some examples of positive ways celebrities have used social media?
- Which celebrity has had the most impact when using social media to become an activist?
- What are some examples of negative uses of celebrity power on social media?
- How do you think mainstream audiences perceive Instagram celebrities differently from YouTube influencers?
- How can consultants learn more about their target audience when using social media?
- What are some examples of positive uses of celebrity power on social media?
- What impact has the rise of influencers had on politics and elections?
- How do you think young people perceive celebrities differently from older audiences because of social media?
- Which platform is best to learn more about international celebrities and influencers?
- What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of being a celebrity online?
- How has the rise of celebrities using social media caused changes in today’s journalism industry?
Social Media Essay Topics About Self Expression
- How can teens use social media to promote self-expression and creativity?
- How does social media affect young people’s self-esteem?
- What types of content do teens produce on the various social media platforms to express themselves?
- Why do you think people choose to use certain types of selfies and not others?
- How can young people best learn how to protect their online reputations and avoid sharing content that could be harmful or embarrassing?
- Which social media platform is best for teens who want to share their private thoughts and experiences with friends and family?
- How can young people be more persuasive when using social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram?
- How has social media changed the way we express ourselves as individuals?
- What is body positivity, and how has social media fueled its growth?
- What are the different ways teens can use social media to show support for people who have been bullied or harassed online?
- What is the importance of personalized hashtags on social media?
- Which platform is best for sharing creative stories with friends and family members?
Social Media Essay Topics About the Future of Social Media
- How will the rise of artificial intelligence change social media?
- What are some examples of new types of social media platforms that were unavailable five years ago?
- What do you think the next hot trend in social media will be in the next few years?
- How will the rise of new platforms affect social media platforms that are already popular?
- What is blockchain technology, and what effect will it have on social media?
- What is the metaverse, and how will it change the landscape of social media?
- How has the development of social media been affected by isolation and feelings of loneliness?
- What are some examples of new types of personalization on social media platforms that were not available ten years ago?
- What does a future with more social media look like?
- What does the future hold for those who still do not use social media?
- How should social media companies use their power to make our future a better place?
- How does the future of social media compare to its past?
- Describe an event in social media’s future that could help or hurt it.
- Where do you see yourself in 30 years through the lens of social media?
- What decisions do you think you’ll make in the future based on current social media trends?
- What ideal social media presence would you like to have 20 years from now?
Using these prompts should give anyone assigned with writing about social media a good start. Remember to follow all of the above advice to ensure a well-crafted essay that will earn you a good grade.