By their nature, information essays can be a little dry as they often need to include technical points and established research. Though that doesn’t mean that your informational topic won’t be interesting. The right informational topic is often one that you can engage with, and research thoroughly, to then engage the reader in a way that further elevates their own knowledge base.
Tips for Writing an Informational Essay
Choosing a topic that you are already familiar with, will go a long way toward helping you write a strong informational topic essay. Though you shouldn’t think that just because you are well-versed in one or two topics that you are the definitive source. Putting in the necessary research will go a long way toward helping your present a thorough essay that the reader connects with. You might even find that there is a wealth of information that you were previously not aware of.
Ideally, researching two or three topics that you are keen on within a specific genre or category will go a long way toward helping you find the one that you can present with the most clarity.
Tone & Point of View
When writing an informational essay you want to write from a third-person point of view. This will help you maintain an objective voice during the essay, which will also help engage the reader. This is especially important for topics that might be controversial, where writing in the third person communicates to the reader that you are not writing from personal bias.
As you offer up key facts, make sure to quote the original source directly or include a footnote. Then make sure to include a detailed bibliography that supports your research.
This often starts with finding two or three topics in a similar genre and engaging in some preliminary research. This will help reinforce your knowledge base, while also helping you to make a more informed choice on the topic you want to write about.
Structuring an Informational Essay
An informational essay should use the standard five-paragraph structure. If the assignment has a greater length requirement you can simply expand the number of body paragraphs as needed. This type of structure will give your educational essay a natural flow that makes it easy for the reader to follow.
An informational essay needs to clearly state the topic in the first sentence or two of the introduction. It also needs to include a clearly worded thesis statement that also demonstrates the authority of the information you are about to convey. The closing sentence of two of the introduction should connect directly to the fact that will be offered up in the first body paragraph.
The first body paragraph of your informational essay should connect with the original thesis statement with strong supporting evidence that comes directly from your research. This might include a direct quote from a well-established research study or an authoritative published paper. Ideally, the central theme of your first body paragraph should be your strongest. The last sentence of two should lead to the second supporting body paragraph.
The following two or more body paragraphs need to offer up different, yet support facts that further connect to the original thesis. Here again, each body paragraph needs to include well-documented examples. Each body paragraph should end with a sentence of two that leads into the next body paragraph’s central idea.
Your informational essay’s conclusion should have an authoritative tone while providing a definite answer that reasserts your thesis statement. This might also include a statement that encourages the reader to be more aware of the topic or anticipated research or coming events that will further support your thesis.
Informational Essay Topics
Choosing the right informational essay topic can be challenging. Especially these days when there are hotly debated subjects in the education realm. Sometimes it helps to break them down into broad subject ranges, which make it easier to research two or three similar topics. If you’ve been struggling to think of a topic to write about, you might find something to pique your interest in the following list.
- Quantum entanglement offers instantaneous communication between two particles.
- How the Grand Tack kept Jupiter from migrating into the inner solar system.
- Explain Einstein’s photoelectric effect.
- How a thought experiment works.
- The chances of life evolving on an exomoon.
- How a lead-acid battery is different from lithium-ion.
- What is the Drake equation?
- The four different types of artificial intelligence.
- How Asimov’s 3 rules could apply to the development of artificial intelligence.
- The difference between a hydrogen bomb and a nuclear bomb.
- The difference between nuclear fusion and nuclear fission.
- The difference between a Type 1A supernova and a hypergiant supernova.
- How nuclear fusion works inside a star.
- How the water in a comet is different from elementary H2O.
- Why time travel is impossible.
- The difference between AC electricity and DC.
- How the moon affects the seasons.
- How tidal forces affect the land as well as the sea.
- The influence of the moon on earthquake activity.
- The relationship between the solar cycle and sunspot activity.
Animals and Ecology Topics
- How is swam mentality displayed in large mammal migrations?
- How do sea turtles fund the nesting grounds they were hatched in?
- How salmon return to the same river they were reared in.
- How the introduction of the lamprey affected the Ecology of the Grear Lakes.
- The top three best dog breeds for a family with small children.
- The difference between pan-arctic fish and other game fish species.
- Why trout and catfish are found all over the world and other game fish have limited ranges?
- The best dog breeds for service and guide training.
- The difference between cold-blooded brumating and warm-blooded hibernating.
- What caused the Cambrian Explosion.
- Which was the first to inhabit the land, sea insects, or amphibians.
- Do human beings experience swarm mentality like migrating animals and bees do?
- Explain how the relationship between bees and pollinating plants started.
- What were the top three factors that caused the mass extinction of the megafauna?
- The top three draft horse breeds.
- The best goat breeds for milk production.
- Why do we farm chickens for eggs rather than ducks?
- Why are some bird species nest parasites?
- Why lemurs are only found in Madagascar.
- The difference between the four bird migration corridors in North America.
Climate Change Topics
- How the Siberia Traps mantle plume affected the atmosphere then and now.
- What caused the “Little Ice Age.”
- What is causing uplift in the Great Lakes region?
- What caused the Medieval warm period?
- What caused the Year Without A Summer?
- How did the Carboniferous Era affect the Earth’s climate then and now?
- What caused the Laurentide ice sheet to retreat.
- Which is contributing more freshwater to the oceans the melting ice of Greenland or Antarctica.
- Could the Cryogenian era occur again?
- The role of methane and water vapor in global warming.
- What is albedo and how does it impact arctic sea ice?
- How did the Ozone Layer form?
- The impact of deforestation on atmospheric carbon levels.
- What the Great Barrier Reef tells us about the history of climate change.
- How did coal deposits form during the Carboniferous Era?
- What caused oil deposits to form during the Cenozoic and Mesozoic eras.
- What caused natural gas deposits to form during the Cenozoic and Mesozoic eras.
- How has propane refining influenced atmospheric carbon levels in the past and now?
- How the break up of Pangea affected climate patterns in the past.
- The relationship between solar cycles and Earth’s climate.
Food & Nutrition Topics
- What is the difference between a vegan diet and being a vegetarian?
- What is the Keto diet?
- The importance of protein intake for building muscle.
- The benefits of a low-carb diet.
- How a low-fat diet helps with weight loss.
- The difference between polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats.
- How LDL and HDL cholesterol foods affect heart health.
- The role dietary cholesterol plays in hormone synthesis.
- The benefits of a high fiber diet.
- What is the Mediterranean diet?
- How processed foods affect health.
- How blood sugar affects brain performance.
- The best foods to manage diabetes.
- The best foods to promote healthy weight loss
- How dehydration affects the heart.
- How dehydration affects the brain.
- How vitamin deficiency affects the endocrine system.
- The importance of foods that are high in Vitamin D3.
- How protein synthesis works in the human body.
- How vegetarians can ensure they are consuming enough complete proteins.
- How stress affects health.
- How blood sugar affects brain health.
- How stress anxiety affects athletic performance.
- Classical conditioning effects of Pavlov’s salivating dogs.
- The difference between CBT and REBT modalities.
- Curt Richter’s drowning rat experiment.
- The persuasive science of invasive advertising.
- How social kin bias promotes racism & prejudice.
- What is humanistic psychology?
- What is cognitive psychology?
- What is psychodynamic psychology?
- What is biological psychology?
- What is behavioral psychology?
- How music affects the brain.
- The fight or flight response & the link to adrenaline.
- The effects of sleep deprivation on the brain.
- How sleep apnea affects brain health.
- The effects of high cortisol levels in the brain.
- The effects of high serotonin levels in the brain.
- How long-term substance abuse affects executive function.
Sociology & Societal Trends
- How pregnancy in college affects graduation rates.
- How teenage pregnancy affects high school graduation rates.
- The correlation between long-term substance abuse and an individual earning power.
- How the isolation during the pandemic affects social skills.
- How ageism affects hiring cycles.
- The correlation between violence in video games and increased gun violence.
- The influence of social media on pop culture trends.
- How online communication apps like Zoom affect interpersonal communication.
- The influence of mass media on social values.
- How singularizing information entertainment to one political view encourages bias.
Art & Architecture Topics
- The influence of Frank Lloyd Wright.
- How his state of mind is evident in the art of Pablo Picasso.
- What made Renaissance art different from the art of the high Middle Ages.
- How Multicultural architecture shows up in the Urban Landscape.
- The development of Chicago’s Millenium Park.
- The role of flying buttresses in the art & architecture of gothic cathedrals.
- How art deco influenced the architecture of its era.
- Why a painting’s frame is just as important as the subject of the painting itself.
- The expression of Globalization in contemporary art.
- How construction technology inspired the Empire State Building.
- Kabuki Theater & woodblock printing.
- The cultural influence of Claude Monet’s art.
- The evolution of stained glass in art & architecture.
- How DaVinci’s The Last Supper changed the way Jesus of Nazareth was portrayed in art.
- How technology is influencing 21st Century art.
- How Non-fungible tokens are influencing the buying & selling of modern art?
- The influence of Iconoclasm on Muslim art.
- The surrealism of Salvador Dali on today’s modern art.
- The influence of Antoni Gaudi on modern art & architecture.
- How exterior architecture affects interior design.
Social Media & Digital Culture Topics
- The effects of early social media exposure on brain development in children under age 12.
- What is a Non-fungible token?
- How social media management software works.
- The marketing value of using hashtags.
- How to monetize an Instagram account.
- How someone becomes a Tik Tok influencer.
- What are prestige icons and how they are beneficial?
- How to use Twitter as a research tool.
- The benefits of claiming your business on Google.
- How FCC regulations apply to major social media platforms.
- Is the First Amendment Freedom of Speech protected on social media.
- The relationship between cryptocurrency and black market sales.
- How blockchain platforms can influence the development of social media.
- How cryptocurrency could become the new international tender.
- How dating sites like Tinder have changed relationship values.