When it comes to providing a comprehensive analysis on a particular topic, essay writing is the best way to do it. There are several types of essay formats, including descriptive, narrative, and compare and contrast.
But one of the most commonly used styles for students is an analytical essay. Some people define it as a critical analysis, while others describe it as argumentative or persuasive writing.
Whatever might be the actual meaning, the analytical essay includes complex thinking to explore ideas and concepts. Therefore, an analytical essay requires an argumentative thesis along with evidence or examples supporting it.
Are Analytical Essays Hard to Write?
Those with decent critical thinking and comprehension skills should have no problem crafting a well-written analytical essay. However, if you have trouble sourcing credible evidence to support your argument, you may struggle with analytical essays.
Usually, the most challenging part of writing an analytical essay, regardless of writing or critical thinking skills, is coming up with a good topic to write about. Analytical essays will require a subject that can be concretely provable with evidence and examples.
Fortunately, the end of this article includes a list of 125 analytical essay topics perfect for students at any level of education in need of a good topic or subject for their analytical essay assignment.
Tips for Writing an Analytical Essay
Because an analytical essay is designed to be more complex and detailed, following these steps can make researching and writing easier.
Stick to One Topic
To keep the essay logical for the reader, it’s essential to stick to one overall topic or subject as the primary focus. Writing about more than one main topic for your analytical essay may cause confusion and mixed ideas for the reader.
Avoid Rambling or “Filler” Words and Phrases
An analytical essay is produced with logical connections between ideas, so it’s important to avoid using filler words like “stuff,” “that stuff,” “this thing,” etc. These types of terms can make your writing sound informal or juvenile.
Also, avoid trying to make your writing too formal by using words like “therefore” or “moreover.” It’s okay to use these types of adverbs sparingly if they help strengthen the logical connections between ideas in one sentence, but it’s not necessary to use them at all.
Instead of writing with weak, passive words that are vague and have no actual definition, try to use action verbs that are more defined. This will help your writing sound more active and engaging for the reader while also avoiding passive voice words like “was” or “were.”
Use Clear Examples to Support Your Thesis
Along with a strong thesis statement (arguable statement) for your essay, use clear examples to support your thesis for the best possible outcome. This will help ensure that you have a strong argument and can convince the reader with evidence-based reasoning.
Outline Before Writing
Outlining your ideas and examples before writing any part of your analytical essay is a great way to ensure you have all of your evidence and information together. In addition, outlines can help keep the writing process smooth and on track from start to finish.
How to Structure an Analytical Essay?
When it comes to formatting and structuring an analytical essay, there are also a few essential details to keep in mind.
The introduction paragraph is an essential part of any academic assignment or essay. To have a thoroughly enticing introduction paragraph that keeps the reader intrigued and engaged throughout the entire essay, it’s important to include a clear and concise thesis statement along with a strong hooking sentence. A good introduction paragraph also consists of some basic information about the topic you will be writing about in your essay.
While there can be as many as four or five body paragraphs used in an analytical essay, they are usually structured around the main ideas or arguments that you will be making.
Each body paragraph should include a topic sentence along with one supporting piece of evidence or example. Once the writer has laid out the supporting evidence and examples for a paragraph, it’s important to use transition words and phrases to conclude the current thought (paragraph) and transition into the next.
The conclusion paragraph contains the final thoughts that will wrap up the essay and transfer any important points back to your thesis topic sentence to strengthen the point being made. The conclusion shouldn’t include any new information that hasn’t already been introduced in the introduction or body of the essay.
125 Analytical Essay Topics
With the information above, any student at any level of education is ready to write a clear and concise analytical essay. So, now it’s time to pick a topic!
Analytical Essay Topics About Technology
- What is the best smartphone and why?
- How has social media changed our lives?
- Is technology making us more or less human as a society?
- Why is the world obsessed with selfies, and how does it affect young people?
- How much time should parents allow their kids to spend on the internet?
- How do social media and technology affect politics/the government?
- What is the future of robots in the workforce, and why is it relevant?
- What are the benefits of using Google for research?
- How does technology affect social interactions and relationships in young people today?
- Is technology important to advancing society in the future, and why or why not?
- Do video games promote violent behavior in kids, and are there a way to make them safer/less violent?
- What are the significant differences between iOS and Android?
- How is technology changing the way we learn in school/in the workplace?
Analytical Essay Topics About Science
- What are some pros and cons of genetically modified food?
- Is there enough regulation over new technology that claims to treat diseases or issues in society?
- What is climate change, why does it matter, and what can be done to stop it?
- What are the benefits and risks of sharing scientific research openly on the internet?
- How does science fiction help encourage innovation in real life?
- What is nuclear energy, and why do some countries use it as a power source?
- Are GMOs safe for human consumption?
- What are the pros and cons of getting a vaccine for flu/measles/mumps when pregnant?
- Do vaccines really work in preventing disease?
- How much research is being done in making sure new drugs are safe before being used on humans?
- Is it ethical to use animals in experiments for the benefit of humankind?
- Why is sleep important for children and teenagers?
- How has science changed our lives for the better since its beginning in the 1800s?
- What was polio, the first vaccine, and how has it benefitted society?
- What is the major difference between plasma, LCD, and LED technology in TVs?
- How does global warming affect weather patterns around the world?
- How environmentally friendly are solar panels?
- How do scientists know that climate change is caused by human activity?
Analytical Essay Topics About Math
- Is it beneficial to learn math if you think you are “bad” at it?
- What is the best way to study for a math test?
- Why is STEM education important in today’s society?
- How does mathematics play a role in our everyday lives, and why do many people consider it useless?
- What is the difference between a linear and non-linear equation, and why do we use them?
- How does STEM education affect college performance and future careers?
- Why should we make math fun in schools instead of just teaching to the test?
- How does critical thinking play a role in math and logic-based problems?
- Why should younger generations focus on STEM education instead of liberal arts or humanities classes?
- How are STEM skills beneficial in everyday life?
Analytical Essay Topics About Engineering
- How does engineering play a role in everyday life?
- What are some pros and cons of building the “X” bridge in New York?
- How does engineering help make our lives more efficient?
- How does engineering assist in economic development?
- How does engineering affect the quality of life in cities/countries with access to modern technology?
- What is 3-D printing technology, and how has it affected how we engineer?
- What is engineering, and why should students focus on learning this field?
- How does engineering benefit society?
- What is nanoengineering, and why do some consider it controversial?
- What are some pros and cons of using ethanol as a fuel source?
- What is civil engineering, and why does it matter to society?
- How do engineers affect the physical landscape of cities/states/nations worldwide?
- Who can be an engineer, what does an engineer need to know, and how long does it take to become an engineer?
- What are the pros and cons of engineering in developing countries compared to developed ones?
- How can math be used in architecture, designing buildings, and other structures?
- What is the history of engineering, and what has it achieved so far?
- What are some benefits of computer-aided design programs over traditional pencil-and-paper engineering?
- How does engineering bring people together to think of creative solutions that benefit communities/society/the world?
- How do engineers help make new discoveries, find ways to conserve energy, and develop technologies used in everyday life?
Analytical Essay Topics About Business & Finance
- Why is business important in today’s society?
- What are some pros and cons of small businesses vs. big corporations?
- How does capitalism shape the physical landscape and environment around us?
- How can we make business for sustainable/ethical/innovative purposes to reduce harm and increase profit for all parties involved?
- How do businesses affect their communities?
- What are the pros and cons of for-profit vs. non-profit models in business?
- What are some benefits of capitalism?
- What does it mean to be “socially responsible” in business, and how can we accomplish this?
- Why is supply chain management important today?
- What are the effects of monopolies on consumers/society?
- How does capitalism play a role in economic development around the world?
- What is “social entrepreneurship,” and why is it important?
- What are some pros and cons of integrating ethics into business practices?
Analytical Essay Topics About Fine Art
- What is fine art, and why is it important?
- What makes something a work of art?
- What is the unifying principle of all fine art?
- How can we classify different types of art to understand how they affect society and culture?
- What are the pros and cons of using digital media in fine arts?
- What is the relationship between fine art and science?
- How does culture affect art and vice versa?
- What are some benefits of studying fine arts in college?
- How do artists change society and visually depict how people live and think through their work?
- How does creativity play a role in different art forms, such as painting, sculpture, and photography?
- What is the history of art, and how has it influenced society so far?
- How does fine art shape culture and identity in different places worldwide?
- What are some pros and cons of using fine arts as a career path for students today?
Analytical Essay Topics About Sports & Health
- What are the health benefits of sports?
- What is the history of sports, and how is it best taught?
- Why are some people anti-sports or not fans of professional athletes?
- How do different cultures worldwide play sports differently from each other?
- Why should students be physically active every day to stay healthy?
- What are some benefits of playing sports for children and teenagers?
- How do professional athletes affect the economy through salaries, endorsements, etc.?
- Why is physical fitness important in today’s society?
- What are some pros and cons of playing different types of sports?
- What should students know about physical fitness to stay healthy?
- How can health and sports influence education, especially for students living in underprivileged areas worldwide?
- What are some benefits of using sports to teach different life lessons about teamwork, overcoming obstacles, etc.?
- How do different sports affect the emotions of individuals, particularly when it comes to feeling discouraged?
Analytical Essay Topics About Social Issues
- What is social justice, and why it’s important?
- Why are some people anti-social issues or apathetic about political inequality?
- What is the origin of social movements throughout history?
- What are some pros and cons of protesting in today’s society?
- What is the history of a social justice movement in modern times?
- How do racism and sexism play roles in social injustice?
- What are some important issues that can be solved by protesting for change?
- How does protest shape our identity as individuals and affect our shared history?
- What are some pros and cons of using social media to organize protests today?
- Why is it important for young people to get involved with social issues?
- What are some major lessons from social movements throughout history?
- How have people changed society through different protests and campaigns?
- How can students be empowered to do social justice work in a constructive way?
- What are some examples of important figures who have made a lasting impact on social justice issues?
- Why should young people be socially responsible for their choices in everyday life?
- Is it more effective to fight for change through art or activism?
- What can students do to get involved with community service and social movements outside of school?
Analytical Essay Topics About Education
- What are some pros and cons of starting school at different ages?
- How does education influence society and change over time?
- How is today’s education system in the US similar or different from other countries?
- Why do students think that going to college is a good idea for financial stability, etc.?
- What are some pros and cons of homeschooling or unschooling?
- What types of schools do children attend in different countries around the world?
- What is a Montessori school, and how does it work with students’ learning styles?
- How have public schools changed from before to now?
- Why are some parents against having their children attend preschool?
Analyzing any of these topics to create a well-thought-out, detailed essay will give readers plenty of evidence about your stance on the issue, allowing them to make up their own minds.